Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This week I got an invite to an old "friends" wedding who I really don't know if she is still a friend, I really haven't seen her on a personal level for years. Years ago she was a big part of my life however I don't know if she even knows my life. Does she know my kids..nope she knows that they exist. Does she know my father had open heart surgery or that my mother had a stroke...nope. So why do I feel the overwhelming need to hang on to her. Does the fact that I don't have the huge group of girlfriends make me feel like I'm missing something...yeah a little but I have one very wonderful Best Friend who I would trust my life with and who has been there through thick and thin! And recently I have been discovering that I do have a lot of people in my life that are friends that I have a fear of putting the label of friend to.

The invite was followed by a very weird call from another "friend" who's first sentence mentioned that she was at work, and made it seem that I was interrupting her work day anywho... the call was for a shower that was for this coming Saturday. This girl was also once a "really" good friend of mine who was hurt that she was not chosen to be my maid of honor who I haven't spoken to since my wedding in 2004 so I figured I would call back and say yes I will try and make it email me the directions... and it took a day and a half to get a reply. Am I hurt...kinda... but not really I kinda think that I'm in the "well I guess I have to invite her" list anyways. I did tell her that I was going to bring one of the Lil Monsters with me as my excuse as a way out early or more likely for someone to talk to. Which was acknowledged by "I don't mind if you bring your kid".This leads me to think that a re-connection may not be in our future, and really why do I torture myself!

So I have decided TIME TO LET GO!!! Yes I never did the all girl trip to Cancun however I'm going to arrange an all girls trip to dinner and a movie in the next 2 weeks! Yeah it would be nice to go somewhere hot and tropical however most of my friends that are important in my life and who are most importantly worthy of spending my time with (away from the always growing Lil Monsters) have Lil Monsters of there own (yes the furry ones count!)

Just wondering what you will do to connect with the ones that matter the most?


PS As I finished writing/ranting about this I checked out a very special girls blog that is singing the same tune! I promise I looked at it after I finished the rant all I can say is great minds think alike!! But it really makes me think we all have our struggles and hopes for very good friends in our lives!

2 comments:

  1. When I was 28 years old, my entire world changed - I had already done the whole "bridesmaid, your getting married, don't want to be your friend thing- which I think happens alot" to getting a divorce and moving into a management position alongside an above some of my best friends -- in my late twenties. My early thirties -- was the finding me stage of my life -- now I am creating me -- can't wait to read more about your journey -- and friends -- daily, weekly or monthly or yearly can easily be defined -- do they smile when they see your face :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm maybe just because these guys aren't close friends doesn't mean u can't know them as acquaintances...

    all depends on the vibe you get...and you gotta give em a chance too...might be different in person.

    ReplyDelete